Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Making progress

I was on such a high on getting the contract from Red Sage, I'm still celebrating, that I fell away from my writing routine. That's a terrible thing to do. For me, it's like exercising. And believe me, that's something I need to do far more of. lol

Seriously, I don't know many people who actually LIKE to exercise. Do you? I have friends who are really into it. They go to the gym and have the home treadmills and workout DVD's. But do they get up in the morning and say "I can't wait to do my 40 minutes of cardio"?

No. lol

For me, writing is the same thing. Maybe it's my newness but I dread writing. What if my story falls flat? What if I say something stupid? What if my single sale was just a fluke?

So every day, I dread writing. I know I should, like I know I should exercise. I know I have to. Especially now since I did sell something. And just like exercising, once I've written? I feel incredible. I'm in a good mood all day.

For the last week, I wrote nothing. What did I feel? Guilty. Like a failure. I did everything BUT write. I even pulled out all of my dishes one day to clean the cabinet shelves because I convinced myself it was far more important than my little meandering stories. How sad is that?

Today, I reasoned with myself. I could continue on procrastinating and make myself feel worse. OR I could get to work. So I rolled up my sleeves and wrote a little over 400 words on the one story. I got stuck so I stopped and went over to the other story and did about 550 words. I feel VERY good now! lol The one story is about 4k so far, the other 2k.

The point is I made forward progress. It doesn't have to be perfect or brilliant or even good.

It just has to be...

Buenos noches,

Lauren

No comments: